DISCOVER THE DIFFERENCE
Community is Our Priority—It's in Our Name
Athens Federal Community Bank views philanthropy as a vital component of support for communities.
In order to provide meaningful philanthropy that aims to transforms lives, we carefully consider the unique characteristics and needs of our communities. Our contributions take many forms, including Athens Federal Foundation grants, charitable sponsorships, and our employees’ personal volunteerism. Through these endeavors combined, Athens Federal gives to its communities an average of $250,000 each year.
The Athens Federal Foundation was established by Athens Bancshares Corporation, the holding company for Athens Federal Community Bank, and its shareholders as part of the Bank’s 2009 stock conversion. The Foundation was created to provide funding and support for charitable causes within the bank’s market area.
The Foundation’s mission is to “support and fund community development via affordable housing, job training and programs that assist the economically disadvantaged. The Foundation will also consider requests for educational initiatives, health care programs and supportive human service programs as well as local cultural institutions for the purpose of broadening access to cultural and arts activities.”
Charitable Sponsorships and Community Support
Athens Federal is proud to support its local communities through local school and athletic, cultural, and civic sponsorships, and partnerships with non-profits and charitable organizations.
- Athens Federal is a strong supporter of United Way, contributing an average of $40,000 each year with over 90% participation rate from its employee giving campaign.
- The Athens Federal Relay for Life team is historically a platinum level supporter ($10,000+) with a variety of efforts throughout the year, from bake sales and "Battle of the Banks" events, to an annual charity auction that has raised as much as $8,500.
- A number of employees volunteer with Junior Achievement to provide financial literacy to area elementary, middle, and high schools.
- Numerous employee-led volunteer campaigns and donation drives are developed throughout the year to benefit local, regional, and national charitable organizations.
- Athens Federal encourages employees to volunteer and be involved in community activities and provides resources such as schedule flexibility and membership reimbursement.
- Athens Federal serves as the Adopt-a-School partner of one elementary or middle school in each of its service areas and provides monetary and professional support through classroom visits, teacher, and student recognition and financial contributions.
Athens Federal employees help their communities grow in countless meaningful ways, including efforts through United Way, the American Cancer Society, and Junior Achievement. As school board members, chamber ambassadors, church leaders, and volunteers for area food banks, arts councils/museums, and various non-profit and charitable organizations, we are neighbors making a difference every day.
Community Development Banking
Athens Federal is committed to the success of under-served communities, and with expertise, innovation, and leadership, helps local people and projects succeed. Our employees are dedicated to helping individuals and families achieve financial success, and work closely with local residents, providing free financial education courses and a suite of banking solutions.
While investing in innovative products and services to create economic stability and wealth, Athens Federal carefully adheres to government regulations, including the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA). Since the passage of the CRA, Athens Federal has consistently earned satisfactory CRA ratings from the federal government, for investing in its communities, especially under-served neighborhoods, and for providing unique solutions to under-served individuals.
By assisting communities and sustaining a viable business model at the same time, Athens Federal is able to focus both on “mission” and “margin.”